Now for those of you not privileged to live in the Southeast US, Sundrop is an unknown entity.
Sundrop is a locally produced citrus type soft drink.
In the south, we love our pound cakes and are constantly adding different ingredients to turn an ordinary pound cake into another work of taste bud delight.
I have friends that call and request I make this cake for them to serve.
I did not invent this recipe, but I did convert it to a gluten/cow’s milk free delight that I can enjoy.
If you don’t have Sundrop, I am so sorry, but you can substitute any citrus carbonated drink.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and I hope you get to try Sundrop one day!
Gluten Free Sundrop Pound Cake
- 2 sticks butter, softened (use vegan butter to make dairy free)
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ﬂavoring, gluten free
- 1 teaspoon lemon ﬂavoring
- 3 cups Pamelaʼs Artisan Flour Blend Gluten Free
- ¾ cup sundrop*
- Cream butter and shortening.
- Add sugar gradually.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Blend in both ﬂavorings.
- Add ﬂour and sundrop alternately.
- Pour into a greased bunt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- *I use cherry lemon sundrop. You could use any citrus soda in this recipe.