This is a recipe from my childhood that my mother (who does not like to cook) prepared every Thanksgiving and Christmas.
When I asked about this dish, she said she went to a Christmas get together with her co-workers and someone made this and shared their recipe.
She started making this every year and it has improved with time.
I have a good friend who was visiting from out of town, who tried it one year.
He now makes sure he comes by for this treat. One year he announced if my mother were not married he would propose because of this dish!!
This so good, when we divide up any leftovers, I hide my portion in the refrigerator to keep from having to share with anyone.
This recipe was easily converted to gluten and cow’s milk free without any change to the taste.
Hope you and your family, friends enjoy it as much as we do.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups cooked sweet potatoes, skins removed and mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp gf vanilla extract
- 3 heaping tablespoons gluten free ﬂour
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup nut milk (I used almond milk)
- ½ cup gluten free ﬂour
- ⅓ cup butter, softened (use vegan butter to make dairy free)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together and spread in a 9x9 baking dish.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and spread over sweet potato mixture
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes