I know it sounds strange but I was wanting to make a dish that was just pretty to look at as well as good for me. I am a big salad fan, so let’s see what I can do with some salad items. I found this recipe in a handmade cookbook from a taster’s luncheon held as a school fundraiser. It met my requirements: salad, healthy, pretty and easy. There were just two things difficult about this salad: waiting the 10 hours and digging in and messin’ up the prettiness!! But oh my, the wait was so worth it!! The flavors had blended and tasted divine. Feeling like you want to eat something eye appealing? This is the dish for you!
- 1 head of lettuce, chopped*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 package frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup cheese
- 6-8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Spread half of the lettuce in the bottom of your dish.
- Mix onion, peas, celery and bell peppers and spread over lettuce.
- Spread remaining lettuce on top.
- Mix mayonnaise and sugar together. Spread over top of salad.
- Sprinkle with cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Cover and refrigerate for 10 hours.
Use whatever cheese you would like on your salad.
I know it is called a 7 layer salad but I like to add some chopped tomato to mine before eating it.